Argentina & Chile
- Absolutely fantastic dual sport motorcycle riding while crossing the Andes Mountains in the northern parts of Patagonia
- The "Adventure Capital of Chile" the town of Pucón, right at the base of the active Volcano Villarrica
- Ruta 40, the continuous highway that covers Argentina
- Ferry rides from Caleta Conzalo to Hornopiren through the beautiful fjords and inlets of Chile
- Parque Pumalin, Parque Nacional Los Alerces (tallest trees in South America) Parque Nacional Nahuel Huapi & much more
- Carretera Austral, the famous "Highway to the South!"
- Panamerican Highway, in appropriate sections needed
- 8 active volcanoes, crossing the Andes mountains
- 48 breathtaking lakes & 10 National Parks and Reserves in Northern Patagonia
- Rest day Options: Whitewater rafting, kayaking, fly-fishing, hiking, OR shopping, & exploring (if in Bariloche. Inquire for dates.)
Ulli was exceptionally helpful whether with route suggestions, changing panniers, supplying pannier bags, new maps [and exceptionally fairly not charging me for a bracket which broke supporting one of the panniers when i returned the bike as he could see it was not due to a fall] as well as some very well received cold drinks on his porch when picking up and dropping off bikes!
-Barrett, Ireland, March 2017"
- Barrett and his friends are making us stand tall and proud with huge smiles after trip reports like this! Please remember though, Patagonia motorcycle rentals should be reserved 8-12+ months in advance, as the season sell out early. Barrett, we're glad you guys planned well ahead, and enjoyed your adventure ride: )
- Moments and photos like this one from Bastian Guenther are a treasured part of any "Self-Guided Fly & Ride The Patagonia Experience" trip on our BMW GS rentals. We're just glad you finished this tough ride safely, Bastian. Knew very well that Patagonia would make the trip an excellent one for you.
- Dominic Ginder and his father, Bob, made excellent use of 16 days of riding time with their Motorcycle Rentals in Patagonia. Dominic, you're correct as well about future plans for Croatia. So much to explore by motorcycle!
La moto gs 1200 lc estaba en perfecto estado, casi nueva y con el neumatico trasero nuevo.
Gracias por vuestro buen trabajo"
- For those who haven't practiced their Spanish since high school, Victor Vivaracho (from Spain) is very happy with how his Patagonia Motorcycle Rental experience with RIDE Adventures went. (Approx: "The trip was perfect. The BMW R1200GS LC was in perfect condition, almost new and with a new rear tire. Thanks for your good work.") Glad you enjoyed, Victor!
Everything went smooth, thank you for the guide notes and the maps you have provided, which led us to some of the most amazing places we’ve ever seen, and also kept us safe! We had absolutely no problem whatsoever, bike, staff everything was great."
- Flaviu Dan from Romania was inspired enough by his customized Self-Guided "Fly & RIDE The Patagonia Experience" on a BMW F700GS that he just reached out about a year later to share. With a photo and words that summarize the trip, we are SO glad you enjoyed, Flaviu! That feeling of freedom and exploration of the beautiful Patagonia region puts a huge smile on lots of Riders' faces :)
- Nothing puts a bigger smile on our faces than comments like these from George Mulligan, on the heels of his "Self-Guided, Truck Supported Full Patagonia Adventure." Thanks again, George!
- Even when plans changed, Henry Van Klaveren and his cousin Gertjan were still able to enjoy a "Self-Guided Fly & Ride The Patagonia Experience" trip! Glad you finished safely and with smiles, guys.
"Hey Eric, I wanted to tell you thank you for everything. We had a great time in Patagonia and everything went as planned thanks to your help.
- Ilay Avnin from Canada and his friend, Adam, were able to ride from Pucon to Punta Arenas, reporting back with a great experience overall! The route they chose is explained in the Self-Guided Fly & Ride the Patagonia Experience package.
- The spirit of solo motorcycle travel led Jake Szympruch from Oregon to Patagonia, and his Patagonia Motorcycle Rental Package sounds like it was the right choice. Jake, for that, we are glad you enjoyed! See you around Oregon :)
- There should be more room on these testimonials for photos! Jeff Yates captured some incredible shots on his Self-Guided "Fly & Ride Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego & Ushuaia!" motorcycle trip, and left us wanting more. Great mix of clouds and sun in Torres del Paine National Park. Glad you enjoyed, Jeff!
Eric it must have been difficult organising a big groups accommodation and etc but it all went smoothly with a great mix of places to stay and dinners provided.
Andres…whaaat? …thanks for taking care of all the day to day small problems that cropped up with the group, explaining patiently each days trip and always with a smile. It has been a pleasure to travel with you. And thanks for looking after Cheryl in the vehicle. She enjoyed the trip.
Rodriquez: good job keeping the bikes up to scratch."
- Jim Hoffmann from Australia was kind enough to share these words with our Staff just after his Self-Guided, Truck Supported Full Patagonia Adventure trip. Jim opted for the new Honda Africa Twin, a motorcycle getting great feedback from the adventure riding world. Glad you enjoyed, Jim!
"Eric, Made it to Punta Arenas yesterday. Awesome trip! I do have to admit it was tough and some OJT was required on the gravel portions but I am much more skilled now. Never dropped the bike once! Guess 60 year old guys can recall dirt bike skills from 40 years ago LOL. Wind riding was tiring but nothing Harley riders are experienced at. Very rewarding trip to say the least. Thanks for all your help and by the way, the African Twin is an amazing bike. I had never ridden an adventure bike before but the Honda did everything I needed it to do and will be my choice for purchase.
- Now that's a celebration photo! Larry, Tim, and Ron finished their Self-Guided "Fly & Ride Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego & Ushuaia!" motorcycle trip in Punta Arenas, and took this excellent shot overlooking the Straight of Magellan, just across from Tierra del Fuego. Congrats on the safe finish, guys, and thanks for sharing!
- Every rider has their own riding style, and a "Self-Guided Fly & Ride Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego & Ushuaia!" package worked out well for Leslie Donelson and his friend, Bret. As noted though, the only thing that would have made the trip better would probably be some more time in northern Patagonia! Hey, at least you guys experienced what so many have yet to.
This trip certainly exceeded my expectations - so I am very happy indeed. From my experience as a participant & sometimes as an organiser, on many motorcycle, mountain biking & road cycling, golfing tours - I offer the following:
- Bruce Ravenhill from South Africa flew over to Chile with a few friends for our Fully Guided "The Best of Northern Patagonia" motorcycle trip package. Bruce also has long experience organizing trips like this, so we appreciate such positive feedback from a fellow Guide!
-Mark Jeffries from the U.K. after his clearly EXCELLENT experience riding a Self-Guided Motorcycle Trip in Patagonia in 2015.
Reservations are advised for the finer places (like Torres del Paine) since the lodging inventory is not extensive and there is a fair amount of tourism in the popular locations during their summer season. Getting reservations made takes lead time and commitment.
- Great photo, Mike and Kathy! The Bradfords had some great weather on their Self-Guided "Fly & Ride Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego & Ushuaia!" motorcycle trip, even for important moments like this one in front of Los Cuernos (The Horns) of Torres del Paine National Park, along side of Lago Pehoe.
- Pascal Ducasse and his friends enjoyed a perfect example of a "customized" version of our Self-Guided "Fly & RIDE The Patagonia Experience" package. Wanting to slow down and "soak-up" more of the off-bike opportunities and scenery in Patagonia is something we truly support everyone with. Riders just need to ask us for the help and suggestions on where to stay longer. Thanks for sharing, Pascal!
"My brother and I did the Best of Northern Patagonia route and it was, simply, the trip of a lifetime. The team always supported us, super-friendly and enthusiastic - an all round 10/10 experience. Thank you Andres! Thank you Eric!"
- Joshua Gibson from South Africa wrote some much-appreciated words about his motorcycle trip. Looks again like we got their Self-Guided, Fly & Ride The Best of Northern Patagonia adventure riding package just right. Glad you enjoyed, Josh, and there's more of Patagonia and the Andes still yet to see!
RA: Was it easy to reserve and plan your trip through RIDE Adventures? - Sean: "Yes 10/10"
RA: Did you find convenience in contacting us instead of having to deal with international phone calls different time zones, or other booking uncertainty? - Sean: "Yes 10/10"
RA: Is there anything else you can say about how we're doing? - Sean: "RIDE Adventures, glad I found you, you are awesome."
- Sean Gibson from South Africa had some thoughts to share on our post-trip follow-up. Looks like we got his Self-Guided, Fly & Ride The Best of Northern Patagonia adventure riding package just right. Glad you enjoyed, Sean!
"I'd like to thank the RIDE Adventures Team for their excellent service in making our self guided trip of Northern Patagonia the trip of a lifetime! I had promised my Son a trip as a reward for his college graduation, five years later our schedules finally lined up and we found RIDE Adventures. Even though it was short notice the planning was seamless. Arriving in Chile (Pucon) our bikes were in perfect condition, well equipped freshly serviced and ready for our adventure. The trip book was thorough and after a route briefing any concerns we had were dispelled.
- Brad Michael came up with an incredible graduation gift idea for his son David. Our Self-Guided, Fly & Ride The Best of Northern Patagonia motorcycle trip package sure qualifies as one of the best gifts a recent Grad could receive!
"We did a self guided Best of North Patagonia tour early October and we loved it! One of the reasons we chose Rideadv is because we found their website to be very clear, easy to use and they offer exactly what we were looking for. Throughout the whole booking process Rideadv has been very clear and responsive. They provided additional practical advice about flights etc. We did some last minute changes to the reservation without any problem. They are really client focused. The bikes we got from Ulli were in perfect shape. He made sure we could find his place, the bikes were all ready when we got there, he had ample choice of bags, cases, straps etc. Last but not least he provided perfects maps with some very useful tips about the route, which roads were blocked (due the weather), where to eat/stay etc. The one issue we had underway (rear tyre flat/to be replaced) he guided us to a perfect BMW shop in Osorno and this was all fixed in less than an hour. We would certainly use Rideadv again!!"
- A Self-Guided, Fly & Ride The Best of Northern Patagonia motorcycle trip package worked out really well for Daan Teeuwissen and his friends from The Netherlands. Glad you enjoyed, Daan, and come back for more! Still lots of Patagonia still undiscovered.
-Anna Kim from California after she clearly enjoyed her motorcycle rental experience from our Pucon, Chile location, and riding through Patagonia with friends on a self-guided trip!
-Written by Craig Pejic from the U.K. after his motorcycle rental package in Patagonia for riding through Chile and Argentina. So glad you guys enjoyed your trip, and that we had a chance to meet along the road near Futaleufú, Craig!
"I have finally made it back to Singapore after the long haul from the bottom of the world. I just wanted to write a few words about the 2 weeks I spent with Ride Adventures, Ulli and Andres.
Going into this trip, I had some trepidation about being able to keep up with the rest of the team on the infamous Ripio. Although I was confident I would get through it, I did not want to end up an hour behind the rest of the group and becoming a drag on the tour.
Luckily, we had a group of riders that although on their own bikes had a very large range of ability and would have no doubt kicked my ass on dirt or road were quick to develop a team concept and help each other out when needed. I do believe I was very fortunate to be able to ride and spend time with such an outstanding group of people.
-Written by Dan Ruben from Singapore after he was able to sneak most of our "Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego & Ushuaia!" motorcycle trip into his busy schedule!
-Written by Federico Rolando from New York after clearly enjoying his opportunity to RIDE our "The Best of Northern Patagonia" route. Federico, do come back sometime, as there's much more still to enjoy in Patagonia!
-Written by Jake Berzkalns after his Self-Guided, Truck Supported "Full Patagonia Adventure trip through Chile and Argentina. So glad you enjoyed Patagonia and now know what we've been talking about since 2010, Jake!
-Jeannie Pelletier from Canada, after their "Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego & Ushuaia!" Motorcycle Trip Package with the fantastic group above. We had so much fun!!!
"The routes were stunning. Hotels were, by and large, good and we appreciated the fact that options were limited in the smaller towns. The bikes were excellent and compliments to the guys you organized them through....all very efficient. --- I will be referring a friend of mine and his group to you shortly..."
-John Swart from South Africa after months of waiting for his private group Best of Northern Patagonia tour in April 2015. We look forward to riding with you again, John and friends!
-This was by Kyle Tindale from Canada after he and his friend, Cody, enjoyed a Self-Guided "Fly & Ride The Patagonia Experience" on BMW F700GS and Kawasaki KLR 650 motorcycle rental we provided
-Matthias Kuhn from Germany
Following up on his motorcycle rental in Patagonia and long-awaited trip with friends, which clearly turned out well!
-Written by Nelson Powers from the U.S. after his motorcycle rental package in Patagonia for riding through Chile and Argentina. Riding solo to Ushuaia can be a long and grueling, but also exhilierating!
-Written by Robert Butler from Canada after his Self-Guided, Truck Supported "Full Patagonia Adventure trip through Chile and Argentina. So glad you enjoy this region that we are so excited about showing the world, Rob!
"I had made a spontaneous decision to experience Patagonia on a motorbike last Christmas. I really had no idea what I was getting myself into and had only 2 years of riding experience--most of which was on pavement. Eric at RIDE Adventures took the time to answer all my questions before I was even fully committed. I expressed my concerns about riding alone and having little off-road experience. Eric was very organized, friendly, knowledgeable and I had no qualms at all during the reservation and payment process; This is important when you are forking out thousands of dollars. He kept good notes on the invoices and documented everything via written communication.
On the ground, I was able to pick up the BMW F700GS without any issues. Everything was handled in English and I was on the road very quickly. I put over 3,000 miles on the bike with zero issues other than having to oil the chain a few times (bring some chain lube it’s very expensive in Patagonia). The bike came with all the tools you would ever need for basic maintenance and road-side repairs. Luckily, I didn’t have so much as a flat tire and the bike was already well-maintained. I did have one low-speed crash and dented one of the panniers a bit. I was charged a reasonable price for the damage when I returned the bike. Ulli, the fleet manager near Pucon, was just as helpful, friendly and knowledgeable as Eric. Every time I called him, he answered. I never felt like I’d be unsupported in an emergency.
-Written by Roger Keyes from Kansas City, U.S.A. after his motorcycle rental package in Patagonia for riding through Chile and Argentina. Roger enjoyed the BMW F700GS so much, he came home and bought one!
I loved every single moment of this trip! Almost didn't realize I was the only girl of the group hehe (Actually I had never drink so much beer in my life!). I don't know if all groups are this fun but we certainly got a good one!
Ulli and Andres thanks for all your efforts! Company in the truck was great! I would only suggest to make more propaganda on the web page that wife's can ride on the truck! ;) But this tour is definitely Top!!"
-Silvana Puello from Colombia after she joined her boyfriend Jaime on the back of a BMW F800GS on our "Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego & Ushuaia!" motorcycle tour! Looks like she enjoyed herself, and we couldn't be happier about that.
"Everything has been already said about our chile trip by Rob and Jake. They are spot on, and I can only fall in line with Rob and Jake's praises. We not only enjoyed we a perfect travel itinery but also a product, which will be difficult to match or find anywhere else out there.
In addition, we just had the right constellation of people, led by Andres. To keep it short and sweet, he has all the right attributes a guide should have. Reliable, dedicated, knowledgable and caring. I enjoyed myself very much. Thank you Andres.
RIDE Adventures, I shall certainly use your services again. Please stay in contact and keep me updated and thank you for your overall speedy and professional correspondance."
-Written by Stephan Wacker who lives in Namibia, but is originally from Germany. Stephan clearly enjoyed his Self-Guided, Truck Supported "Full Patagonia Adventure trip in early 2016! Good news is, we'll get to visit with Stephan at his hotel again in Swakopmund when we are on our Southern Africa Experience tour.
"In a word, amazing!!!
The trip exceeded any possible expectations I might have thought I had. From the snow covered mountains to the emerald blue rivers, driving rain, cross winds, sunshine, dirt, dust, mud, pavement and cold, pretty much all in one day, it was truly an adventure i will never forget. Every part made even better by Ulli and Andres. Both of them went way above and beyond the entire trip to make sure we never had to worry about a single thing. There is a massive amount of logistics on a trip like this and both of them made it so all we had to do was enjoy the riding. A+++ for both of them. Apart from the riding, the fly fishing was perhaps the best fishing i have ever had the opportunity to do. I live on a premium fishing river in Washington but the fishing down there was way beyond anything i have ever gotten to do.
The hotels were perfect, I enjoyed very much both the mom and pop places we stayed as well as the high end resorts. Great food and the other people we met on the trip will be friends for life. We were all talking at the end of the trip that we should all try and get the band together to do another one in a year or two."
-Steven Scott, from Washington, after his experience joining some riding buddies and our guides Ulli and Andres for the "Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego & Ushuaia!" motorcycle tour in 2015. Steven, there's nothing we enjoy more than exceeding expectations!
-David and Juli - from Austin, Texas, after their 10-Day self-guided motorcycle tour through the Andes Mountains of Patagonia between Chile and Argentina
"Your assistance in planning our trip was outstanding, and everything went smoothly from beginning to end. The sites we enjoyed in Patagonia are going to remain in our memories for a long time and it is going to be difficult to find some thing else which could beat them. Even the weather we encountered was beautiful!
-Dominique and Patrick from Maillot , after 18 days of a self-guided motorcycle trip in Patagonia.
-Gustavo Scherenberg from Mexico after his private group's "Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego & Ushuaia!" motorcycle tour in February 2014. This group added an extra day for rafting the Futaleufu River. Be sure to Contact Us and ask about how you can, too! (Gus's group in front of the Grey Glacier in Torres del Paine National Park.)
-Ian Ohan, Owner - Freedom Pizza - Dubai, UAE
(Photo overlooking Lago General Carrera in Chilean Patagonia during the "Patagonia Experience" motorcycle tour.)
-Isabella Scafati from Italy & Miami after a self-guided trip in Patagonia with her boyfriend, Dale in January 2014.
Eric at RIDE Adventures (www.rideadv.com) is a top class, experienced leader and host. He secured well-prepared, well-maintained bikes (BMW 1200GS), researched and planned a bespoke route, arranged great hotels and selected excellent restaurants. More to the point he took on everything we threw at him with enduring patience and humor - and through the tour has become a really good friend.It is difficult to imagine how bike tours get better this."
-Jeremy Lester, Dubai UAE,(Jeremy offers a lift to an Israeli Army Officer stranded in Puerto Tranquilo in Chilean Patagonia during the "Patagonia Experience" motorcycle tour.)
"During a motorcycle trip to Alaska in 2010, we decided to go see "the other side" and ride through Patagonia. But life got in the way and two month before getting down there we had little more booked than our plane ticket...
This is where RIDE Adventures comes in.
-Emily & Johann, Ann Arbor, Michigan
-Anna & Patrice, Seattle, Washington, after 10 Day incredible self-guided riding trip through the heart of Patagonia
-Krishnakumar Gopinathannair from California, after he and his friend, Bijoy completed their Self-Guided Patagonia Experience trip in February 2014. Glad you enjoyed, and great seeing you along the route, guys!
-Louis Zietz from Texas, after months of months of planning and patiently waiting for what was clearly a successful Self-Guided Motorcycle Trip in Patagonia!
-Mark Mackoviak from the U.S, after his Self-Guided Motorcycle Trip in Patagonia, having clearly enjoyed the experience!
-This from Martin Farrand from New Zealand. We included some pictures of Martin on his "Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego & Ushuaia!" motorcycle trip. (Martin's helmet represents the infamous All Blacks from New Zealand overlooking the Queulat National Rainforest)
-Mike Culwell from the U.S., after a private-group, customized version of our Best of Northern Patagonia tour. His group even had the unique opportunity to witness the still-active Villarica Volcano erupting just a few miles from their hotel in Pucón!
-Myles Colligan and Taylor Garrigan from the U.S, after their self-guided version of our "Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego & Ushuaia!" motorcycle tour. Clearly, they enjoyed!
-Philip & Philip Moor from New Jersey, USA , after what was clearly an enjoyable self-guided Patagonia motorcycle travel experience! As they first let-out the clutch in Osorno.
-Ryan Roux & Andres DuPlessis - South Africa - after 20 days of BMW motorcycle rentals in Patagonia in 2013
Needless to say I hope this won't be my last trip so I will let you know when I'm ready for the next one..hopefully soon!"
-Santiago Falla from the U.S. and Colombia, after his 12-Day Self-Guided Patagonia Motorcycle Trip with his girlfriend in February 2014.
-Steve Curry from New York after a Self-Guided Patagonia motorcycle trip on the BMW F700GS.
-Sylvain Arseneault from Canada who enjoyed a self-guided motorcycle trip in Patagonia, and clearly has more interest in riding!
"Eric, Thanks for all your help on our trip to Patagonia. You did a super job staying on top of the details and the trip went as smooth as I could imagine. Whether it was translating for the hotel staff in Tierra del Fuego or planning an amazing itinerary, we were very impressed. It would have taken me weeks to reproduce what you did. The maps and fuel suggestions were very valuable. I would be happy to endorse your services, please use me as a reference. Now I need to plan the next trip!"
-Tom Prendiville (Shown in the picture during a self-guided Patagonia motorcycle trip with his brothers. Here crossing the Straight of Magellan on the ferry with the BMW Motorcycles. Next stop, USHUAIA!)
-Vitor Freitas from Portugal after what sounds like a great time on a self-guided motorcycle trip in Patagonia! You bet it can get windy on some of those sections...
-Warren Bean from Oregon, USA after his "Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego & Ushuaia!" motorcycle trip. Returning to Chile with the other riders, wishing they could turn around to do it all over again as we were told!
"Absolutely amazing experience. Two rental bikes and 17 days of adventuring through Chile and Argentina. Parke Pumalin and Parke Patagonia were the highlight of the trip, never seen that many stars while camping in those parks. Also the fly-fishing in Rio Baker was fun. Great service and the bikes were excellent GS1200's, perfect for this kind of terrain and adventure through dirt roads."
-Quint Henriquez from the Netherlands Antilles after his Self-Guided Motorcycle Trip in Patagonia with his friend, Ian. Quint, we're glad you had such a great experience! Don't forget the fly-fishing opportunities here folks...
- Riding in Patagonia isn't for everyone due to the riding challenges, but Hayden Dyer made it happen, and we're so glad he enjoyed his "Self-Guided Fly & Ride The Patagonia Experience" trip!
"Thanks for following up Eric. It was an incredible experience and the direction I received prior to the trip from yourself and Ulli was spot on. The times I got lost or wandered off the path were very much welcomed as it added to the experience. I was alone for 100% off the riding, but never lonely. I can best describe the experience with the video I put together. Please see below link: https://www.youtube.com/
- Although the service we provided Jordan was for a Kawasaki KLR 650 rental in Patagonia, he also found out on his trip that riding gear serves as snow gear for snow-tubing near Pucón! Glad you enjoyed, Jordan.
- Thijs and Tim had some perfect timing weatherwise for their Motorcycle Rentals in Patagonia. This time of year, weather is 90% "good" along the Carretera Austral and Ruta 40, but still, sometimes clouds and rain can obscure the sites inside Torres del Paine National Park. Glad you guys got the "good stuff!"
"I had the adventure of a lifetime riding the Best of Northern Patagonia on the BMW F800GS. The riding and the scenery were unlike anything I've experienced before (plenty of volcanoes). The locals we ran into on the trip from Chile and Argentina were some of the friendliest people I've ever met. The hotel accommodations were a wide range from lavish to basic but were always clean and adequate. We were looking for a dual sport ride and got a great mix of dirt/gravel and paved roads. Truly a trip I'll remember for the rest of my life."
- Travis Rymon is reporting back to us with good words about the "Self-Guided Fly & Ride The Best of Northern Patagonia" motorcycle trip he just enjoyed with his father. Glad you guys now see what it is we've been raving about!
- Ty Melton from Colorado in the U.S. had some friends join him for the Self-Guided "Fly & RIDE The Best of Northern Patagonia" package, and it looks like the guys enjoyed their trip! The two-track riding is disappearing all around the Andes Mountains, so other riders should not wait to book their trips.
"Lots of inside jokes with the US Boyz I'm sure. I can speak for Mike and I that we were thoroughly stoked about every part of our adventure too!
The people, the places, the food (omg what a meat fest), the accommodations, the dogs and most of all, our guides. Andres (the happiest guy in the world) made us feel so comfortable and at home, and Ulli with his youthful and fun approach really brought all the hard work you all do with planning together!
Thanks again Mike and everyone for the awesome Adventure. Hope to cross paths one day again."-Brent Martin from B.C., Canada after clearly enjoying his "Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego & Ushuaia!" motorcycle trip!
The Best of Northern Patagonia Motorcycle Tour of Chile & Argentina
The Best of Northern Patagonia - Guided & Self-Guided Motorcycle Trip
The BEST OF NORTHERN PATAGONIA motorcycle tour takes you along 8 active volcanoes, stunning scenery across the Andes Mountains of Chile and Argentina, routes along 48 pristine lakes and visit 10 National Parks and Reserves, and a camera-filling motorcycle adventure that is not to be missed. In addition to experiencing all of this, the famous RUTA 40, the Carretera Austral and the Panamerican Highway all make for an adventure riding experience in Patagonia that will have most riders wondering "why didn't I do this before!"Contact us for more tour information.
Day 1- Arrive in Santiago, Chile then Pucón
Whether you’re taking extra time to explore the capital city of Santiago or just flying through, riders need to arrive in Pucón on or before this date, as we’ll be departing early the next morning. Your intra-Chile flights can be booked through www.lan.com or www.skyairline.cl - Flight should be Santiago (SCL) to Temuco (ZCO)
After a one-hour shuttle ride from Temuco, you’ll reach Pucón, a charming mountain town nestled at the foot of Volcano Villarica in the breathtaking Chilean Lake District. We‘ll get you acquainted with your bike and do your paperwork before everyone meets at the welcome Dinner.
Day 2- Pucón, Chile to Curacautin, Chile - 270km – Ride time 7-9 hours
After our morning briefing we’ll be ready to go when everyone is comfortable for departure. Leaving the active Volcano Villarrica and National Park Villarrica to our right, we’ll start climbing the Andes Mountains along the border of Chile/Argentina. Later riding right through National Park Huerquehue to Playa Negra, it’s picture time already! Enjoy Lago Caburgua in front, Volcano Villarica in the background, and all the gorgeous forestry around. After lunch in Conco, we enter National Park Conquillo with 3 beautiful lagoons await us. Riding along old lava flows of Volcano Llaima and through forests that are home to 1000 year old Araucania Trees, this is a fantastic first day of riding on challenging gravel roads with many photo stops. Settling into the night near Curacautin, our hotel and dinner await us.
Day 3 – Curacautin, Chile to Lago Alumine, Argentina - 180km - Ride time 6-8 hours
Yesterday was a fantastic day of challenging riding and stunning landscape, but today it gets even better. Our ride takes us up along the base of the active Volcano Lonquimay and Crater Navidad where we’ll follow its latest lava flow from 1988. As if the black-lava landscape isn’t surreal enough, we’ll then cross the Cordillera Lonquimay with more stunning views. After lunch we cross the Sierra Nevada, follow three beautiful lagunas, and reach Paso Icalma for crossing from Chile into Argentina! A short ride later we reach our destination, Villa Pehuenia at the shore of Lago Alumine, surely in time to catch a beautiful sunset over the lake.
Day 4 – Lago Alumine to Bariloche, Argentina - 350km - Ride time 6-8 hours
Leaving Lago Alumine, the scenery changes dramatically on our ride to the Swiss style town of San Martin de los Andes. Now you’ll get a feel for the vast emptiness of the Argentina pampas region as we will see Volcano Lanin (3728m) from a distance and probably deal with some of the typically forceful winds on the Argentine side of the Andes Mountains. After lunch we will take the famous “Seven Lakes Route “ through National Park Nahuel Huapi, and many photo stops later we reach the ski resort town of Bariloche for the night and our first Argentine “asado” (barbeque) in this lively town.
Even the most conditioned riders need to rest from time to time, so it’s important to have some off-motorcycle time. For those who still want to remain active though, the charming ski resort town of Bariloche offers plenty of local culture, shopping and restaurants with great views of Llao Llao and Lago Nahuel Huapi. Anyone wishing to take a short rider can enjoy the “Circuito Chico”, a one-hour loop through the famous Llao Llao Resort with many great viewpoints, or as noted on this page, your Rest Day in the Chilean town of Futaleufú sets you up for some world class whitewater rafting!
Day 6 - Bariloche, Argentina to Futaleufú, Chile - 360km - Ride time 7-9 hours
Leaving Bariloche we first follow the legendary Ruta 40 as sweeping turns take us through rural Argentina. Later, we will enjoy a detour through “Parque National los Alerces” where sweeping sandy turns through “Fitzroya” trees (cousin to the Redwoods found in California) make for more scenic riding. Beautiful lakes and mountains guides us through the National Park, then crossing the Andes again, we’ll be back in Chile for the night in the famous whitewater-rafting town of Futaleufú.
Day 7 – Futaleufú to Hornopiren, Chile - 270km - Ride time 7-9 hours – (with 2 ferries)
Today the gravel road follows the whitewaters of Rio Futaleufú and the Sierra la Ventana. Near Lago Yelcho, we’ll reach the world famous “Carretera Austral,” and some of the most picturesque scenery in the world. Riding through Parque Pumalin, owned and preserved by the late Doug Tompkins, founder of "The North Face" clothing company, more interesting history and status of Patagonia will be revealed. After stopping in Chaiten, the town that was destroyed at the 2008 volcano eruption, we’ll take the ferry to Hornopiren where suddenly you’re on the seawater of the Pacific Ocean! Two scenic ferry rides will take us through the Reñihué and Coman Leprepu Fjords, a major center point of Chilean salmon farming.
Today we pass through National Park Hornopiren and follow the shoreline of these Pacific inlets to start things out. Across the fjord we see Parque Nacional Alerces/Andino near the Cochamo Valley, which many people call it the “Yosemite” of Chile. Pressing on to Ensenada on Lago LLanquihue on our way to Lago Todos los Santos, we’ll stop at Petrohue waterfalls and then a fantastic asphalt road (riding paradise) takes us up Volcano Osorno. At the base of the Ski resort there, we’ll enjoy a beautiful view over Lago Llanquihue before descending to the touristy town of Puerto Varas on the lake shore of Lago Llanquihue for the night.
Day 9 – Puerto Varas to Pucón, Chile - 360km - Ride time 7-9 hours
Wake up with a fantastic view of Volcano Osorno across Lago Llanquihue! Following the lake through Frutillar (Germans settled here in the late 1800) and Puerto Octay, we’ll finally spend some moments on the Panamerican Highway. On our way back to Pucón we’ll follow the shore line of Lago Panguipulli, Lago Neptune, Lago Calafquen and Lago Villarrica, where the Chilean Lake District holds such a simple and pleasant beauty. The ride down into Pucón might bring on a case of mixed emotions as you look back at the amazing trip through Northern Patagonia. Farewell Dinner awaits you in Pucón.
If you absolutely must leave this day, we do understand you’ll be fighting the temptation to skip the flight. Chile has so much more to offer and we have so much more to show you, so we hope you enjoyed and will return for other Patagonia tours!
BMW F700GS (twin cylinder)
BMW R1200GS - Liquid Cooled
Honda Africa Twin
Kawasaki KLR 650