Argentina & Chile
- The Andes Mountains, the longest mountain range on Earth
- Parque Nacional Los Alerces, home of the tallest trees in South America
- Ruta 40, which stretches the length of Argentina thru mountains & "pampas"
- Futaleufú River, home to world-class whitewater rafting & kayaking
- The Carretera Austral, the stunning "Highway to the South!"
- Lago General Carrera, the bright blue, the 12th deepest lake in the world
- Optional Rest Day ride into the famous "Patagonia Park"
- Perito Moreno Glacier, one of only 3 known glaciers to still be growing
- Torres del Paine National Park, home of Los Cuernos, Las Torres & many guanacos!
- David Wood from Oregon in the U.S. set out on a solo motorcycle trip through Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego all the way to Ushuaia at "The End of the World!" Thanks for commenting that our Patagonia motorcycle rentals performed well for you, and that you enjoyed your trip, David!
Ulli was exceptionally helpful whether with route suggestions, changing panniers, supplying pannier bags, new maps [and exceptionally fairly not charging me for a bracket which broke supporting one of the panniers when i returned the bike as he could see it was not due to a fall] as well as some very well received cold drinks on his porch when picking up and dropping off bikes!
-Barrett, Ireland, March 2017"
- Barrett and his friends are making us stand tall and proud with huge smiles after trip reports like this! Please remember though, Patagonia motorcycle rentals should be reserved 8-12+ months in advance, as the season sell out early. Barrett, we're glad you guys planned well ahead, and enjoyed your adventure ride: )
- Moments and photos like this one from Bastian Guenther are a treasured part of any "Self-Guided Fly & Ride The Patagonia Experience" trip on our BMW GS rentals. We're just glad you finished this tough ride safely, Bastian. Knew very well that Patagonia would make the trip an excellent one for you.
- Dominic Ginder and his father, Bob, made excellent use of 16 days of riding time with their Motorcycle Rentals in Patagonia. Dominic, you're correct as well about future plans for Croatia. So much to explore by motorcycle!
La moto gs 1200 lc estaba en perfecto estado, casi nueva y con el neumatico trasero nuevo.
Gracias por vuestro buen trabajo"
- For those who haven't practiced their Spanish since high school, Victor Vivaracho (from Spain) is very happy with how his Patagonia Motorcycle Rental experience with RIDE Adventures went. (Approx: "The trip was perfect. The BMW R1200GS LC was in perfect condition, almost new and with a new rear tire. Thanks for your good work.") Glad you enjoyed, Victor!
Everything went smooth, thank you for the guide notes and the maps you have provided, which led us to some of the most amazing places we’ve ever seen, and also kept us safe! We had absolutely no problem whatsoever, bike, staff everything was great."
- Flaviu Dan from Romania was inspired enough by his customized Self-Guided "Fly & RIDE The Patagonia Experience" on a BMW F700GS that he just reached out about a year later to share. With a photo and words that summarize the trip, we are SO glad you enjoyed, Flaviu! That feeling of freedom and exploration of the beautiful Patagonia region puts a huge smile on lots of Riders' faces :)
- Nothing puts a bigger smile on our faces than comments like these from George Mulligan, on the heels of his "Self-Guided, Truck Supported Full Patagonia Adventure." Thanks again, George!
- Even when plans changed, Henry Van Klaveren and his cousin Gertjan were still able to enjoy a "Self-Guided Fly & Ride The Patagonia Experience" trip! Glad you finished safely and with smiles, guys.
"Hey Eric, I wanted to tell you thank you for everything. We had a great time in Patagonia and everything went as planned thanks to your help.
- Ilay Avnin from Canada and his friend, Adam, were able to ride from Pucon to Punta Arenas, reporting back with a great experience overall! The route they chose is explained in the Self-Guided Fly & Ride the Patagonia Experience package.
- The spirit of solo motorcycle travel led Jake Szympruch from Oregon to Patagonia, and his Patagonia Motorcycle Rental Package sounds like it was the right choice. Jake, for that, we are glad you enjoyed! See you around Oregon :)
- There should be more room on these testimonials for photos! Jeff Yates captured some incredible shots on his Self-Guided "Fly & Ride Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego & Ushuaia!" motorcycle trip, and left us wanting more. Great mix of clouds and sun in Torres del Paine National Park. Glad you enjoyed, Jeff!
Eric it must have been difficult organising a big groups accommodation and etc but it all went smoothly with a great mix of places to stay and dinners provided.
Andres…whaaat? …thanks for taking care of all the day to day small problems that cropped up with the group, explaining patiently each days trip and always with a smile. It has been a pleasure to travel with you. And thanks for looking after Cheryl in the vehicle. She enjoyed the trip.
Rodriquez: good job keeping the bikes up to scratch."
- Jim Hoffmann from Australia was kind enough to share these words with our Staff just after his Self-Guided, Truck Supported Full Patagonia Adventure trip. Jim opted for the new Honda Africa Twin, a motorcycle getting great feedback from the adventure riding world. Glad you enjoyed, Jim!
"Eric, Made it to Punta Arenas yesterday. Awesome trip! I do have to admit it was tough and some OJT was required on the gravel portions but I am much more skilled now. Never dropped the bike once! Guess 60 year old guys can recall dirt bike skills from 40 years ago LOL. Wind riding was tiring but nothing Harley riders are experienced at. Very rewarding trip to say the least. Thanks for all your help and by the way, the African Twin is an amazing bike. I had never ridden an adventure bike before but the Honda did everything I needed it to do and will be my choice for purchase.
- Now that's a celebration photo! Larry, Tim, and Ron finished their Self-Guided "Fly & Ride Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego & Ushuaia!" motorcycle trip in Punta Arenas, and took this excellent shot overlooking the Straight of Magellan, just across from Tierra del Fuego. Congrats on the safe finish, guys, and thanks for sharing!
- Our Patagonia motorcycle rentals came through for Laurynas's adventure riding plans, and this news couldn't make us happier! Riders exploring the incredible, remote & rugged beauty of Patagonia, with scenes like this photo to share....it's what we work for.
- Every rider has their own riding style, and a "Self-Guided Fly & Ride Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego & Ushuaia!" package worked out well for Leslie Donelson and his friend, Bret. As noted though, the only thing that would have made the trip better would probably be some more time in northern Patagonia! Hey, at least you guys experienced what so many have yet to.
This trip certainly exceeded my expectations - so I am very happy indeed. From my experience as a participant & sometimes as an organiser, on many motorcycle, mountain biking & road cycling, golfing tours - I offer the following:
- Bruce Ravenhill from South Africa flew over to Chile with a few friends for our Fully Guided "The Best of Northern Patagonia" motorcycle trip package. Bruce also has long experience organizing trips like this, so we appreciate such positive feedback from a fellow Guide!
-Mark Jeffries from the U.K. after his clearly EXCELLENT experience riding a Self-Guided Motorcycle Trip in Patagonia in 2015.
Reservations are advised for the finer places (like Torres del Paine) since the lodging inventory is not extensive and there is a fair amount of tourism in the popular locations during their summer season. Getting reservations made takes lead time and commitment.
- Great photo, Mike and Kathy! The Bradfords had some great weather on their Self-Guided "Fly & Ride Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego & Ushuaia!" motorcycle trip, even for important moments like this one in front of Los Cuernos (The Horns) of Torres del Paine National Park, along side of Lago Pehoe.
- Pascal Ducasse and his friends enjoyed a perfect example of a "customized" version of our Self-Guided "Fly & RIDE The Patagonia Experience" package. Wanting to slow down and "soak-up" more of the off-bike opportunities and scenery in Patagonia is something we truly support everyone with. Riders just need to ask us for the help and suggestions on where to stay longer. Thanks for sharing, Pascal!
"My brother and I did the Best of Northern Patagonia route and it was, simply, the trip of a lifetime. The team always supported us, super-friendly and enthusiastic - an all round 10/10 experience. Thank you Andres! Thank you Eric!"
- Joshua Gibson from South Africa wrote some much-appreciated words about his motorcycle trip. Looks again like we got their Self-Guided, Fly & Ride The Best of Northern Patagonia adventure riding package just right. Glad you enjoyed, Josh, and there's more of Patagonia and the Andes still yet to see!
RA: Was it easy to reserve and plan your trip through RIDE Adventures? - Sean: "Yes 10/10"
RA: Did you find convenience in contacting us instead of having to deal with international phone calls different time zones, or other booking uncertainty? - Sean: "Yes 10/10"
RA: Is there anything else you can say about how we're doing? - Sean: "RIDE Adventures, glad I found you, you are awesome."
- Sean Gibson from South Africa had some thoughts to share on our post-trip follow-up. Looks like we got his Self-Guided, Fly & Ride The Best of Northern Patagonia adventure riding package just right. Glad you enjoyed, Sean!
"I'd like to thank the RIDE Adventures Team for their excellent service in making our self guided trip of Northern Patagonia the trip of a lifetime! I had promised my Son a trip as a reward for his college graduation, five years later our schedules finally lined up and we found RIDE Adventures. Even though it was short notice the planning was seamless. Arriving in Chile (Pucon) our bikes were in perfect condition, well equipped freshly serviced and ready for our adventure. The trip book was thorough and after a route briefing any concerns we had were dispelled.
- Brad Michael came up with an incredible graduation gift idea for his son David. Our Self-Guided, Fly & Ride The Best of Northern Patagonia motorcycle trip package sure qualifies as one of the best gifts a recent Grad could receive!
"We did a self guided Best of North Patagonia tour early October and we loved it! One of the reasons we chose Rideadv is because we found their website to be very clear, easy to use and they offer exactly what we were looking for. Throughout the whole booking process Rideadv has been very clear and responsive. They provided additional practical advice about flights etc. We did some last minute changes to the reservation without any problem. They are really client focused. The bikes we got from Ulli were in perfect shape. He made sure we could find his place, the bikes were all ready when we got there, he had ample choice of bags, cases, straps etc. Last but not least he provided perfects maps with some very useful tips about the route, which roads were blocked (due the weather), where to eat/stay etc. The one issue we had underway (rear tyre flat/to be replaced) he guided us to a perfect BMW shop in Osorno and this was all fixed in less than an hour. We would certainly use Rideadv again!!"
- A Self-Guided, Fly & Ride The Best of Northern Patagonia motorcycle trip package worked out really well for Daan Teeuwissen and his friends from The Netherlands. Glad you enjoyed, Daan, and come back for more! Still lots of Patagonia still undiscovered.
-Anna Kim from California after she clearly enjoyed her motorcycle rental experience from our Pucon, Chile location, and riding through Patagonia with friends on a self-guided trip!
-Written by Craig Pejic from the U.K. after his motorcycle rental package in Patagonia for riding through Chile and Argentina. So glad you guys enjoyed your trip, and that we had a chance to meet along the road near Futaleufú, Craig!
"I have finally made it back to Singapore after the long haul from the bottom of the world. I just wanted to write a few words about the 2 weeks I spent with Ride Adventures, Ulli and Andres.
Going into this trip, I had some trepidation about being able to keep up with the rest of the team on the infamous Ripio. Although I was confident I would get through it, I did not want to end up an hour behind the rest of the group and becoming a drag on the tour.
Luckily, we had a group of riders that although on their own bikes had a very large range of ability and would have no doubt kicked my ass on dirt or road were quick to develop a team concept and help each other out when needed. I do believe I was very fortunate to be able to ride and spend time with such an outstanding group of people.
-Written by Dan Ruben from Singapore after he was able to sneak most of our "Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego & Ushuaia!" motorcycle trip into his busy schedule!
-Written by Federico Rolando from New York after clearly enjoying his opportunity to RIDE our "The Best of Northern Patagonia" route. Federico, do come back sometime, as there's much more still to enjoy in Patagonia!
-Written by Jake Berzkalns after his Self-Guided, Truck Supported "Full Patagonia Adventure trip through Chile and Argentina. So glad you enjoyed Patagonia and now know what we've been talking about since 2010, Jake!
-Jeannie Pelletier from Canada, after their "Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego & Ushuaia!" Motorcycle Trip Package with the fantastic group above. We had so much fun!!!
"The routes were stunning. Hotels were, by and large, good and we appreciated the fact that options were limited in the smaller towns. The bikes were excellent and compliments to the guys you organized them through....all very efficient. --- I will be referring a friend of mine and his group to you shortly..."
-John Swart from South Africa after months of waiting for his private group Best of Northern Patagonia tour in April 2015. We look forward to riding with you again, John and friends!
-This was by Kyle Tindale from Canada after he and his friend, Cody, enjoyed a Self-Guided "Fly & Ride The Patagonia Experience" on BMW F700GS and Kawasaki KLR 650 motorcycle rental we provided
-Matthias Kuhn from Germany
Following up on his motorcycle rental in Patagonia and long-awaited trip with friends, which clearly turned out well!
-Written by Nelson Powers from the U.S. after his motorcycle rental package in Patagonia for riding through Chile and Argentina. Riding solo to Ushuaia can be a long and grueling, but also exhilierating!
-Written by Robert Butler from Canada after his Self-Guided, Truck Supported "Full Patagonia Adventure trip through Chile and Argentina. So glad you enjoy this region that we are so excited about showing the world, Rob!
"I had made a spontaneous decision to experience Patagonia on a motorbike last Christmas. I really had no idea what I was getting myself into and had only 2 years of riding experience--most of which was on pavement. Eric at RIDE Adventures took the time to answer all my questions before I was even fully committed. I expressed my concerns about riding alone and having little off-road experience. Eric was very organized, friendly, knowledgeable and I had no qualms at all during the reservation and payment process; This is important when you are forking out thousands of dollars. He kept good notes on the invoices and documented everything via written communication.
On the ground, I was able to pick up the BMW F700GS without any issues. Everything was handled in English and I was on the road very quickly. I put over 3,000 miles on the bike with zero issues other than having to oil the chain a few times (bring some chain lube it’s very expensive in Patagonia). The bike came with all the tools you would ever need for basic maintenance and road-side repairs. Luckily, I didn’t have so much as a flat tire and the bike was already well-maintained. I did have one low-speed crash and dented one of the panniers a bit. I was charged a reasonable price for the damage when I returned the bike. Ulli, the fleet manager near Pucon, was just as helpful, friendly and knowledgeable as Eric. Every time I called him, he answered. I never felt like I’d be unsupported in an emergency.
-Written by Roger Keyes from Kansas City, U.S.A. after his motorcycle rental package in Patagonia for riding through Chile and Argentina. Roger enjoyed the BMW F700GS so much, he came home and bought one!
I loved every single moment of this trip! Almost didn't realize I was the only girl of the group hehe (Actually I had never drink so much beer in my life!). I don't know if all groups are this fun but we certainly got a good one!
Ulli and Andres thanks for all your efforts! Company in the truck was great! I would only suggest to make more propaganda on the web page that wife's can ride on the truck! ;) But this tour is definitely Top!!"
-Silvana Puello from Colombia after she joined her boyfriend Jaime on the back of a BMW F800GS on our "Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego & Ushuaia!" motorcycle tour! Looks like she enjoyed herself, and we couldn't be happier about that.
"Everything has been already said about our chile trip by Rob and Jake. They are spot on, and I can only fall in line with Rob and Jake's praises. We not only enjoyed we a perfect travel itinery but also a product, which will be difficult to match or find anywhere else out there.
In addition, we just had the right constellation of people, led by Andres. To keep it short and sweet, he has all the right attributes a guide should have. Reliable, dedicated, knowledgable and caring. I enjoyed myself very much. Thank you Andres.
RIDE Adventures, I shall certainly use your services again. Please stay in contact and keep me updated and thank you for your overall speedy and professional correspondance."
-Written by Stephan Wacker who lives in Namibia, but is originally from Germany. Stephan clearly enjoyed his Self-Guided, Truck Supported "Full Patagonia Adventure trip in early 2016! Good news is, we'll get to visit with Stephan at his hotel again in Swakopmund when we are on our Southern Africa Experience tour.
"In a word, amazing!!!
The trip exceeded any possible expectations I might have thought I had. From the snow covered mountains to the emerald blue rivers, driving rain, cross winds, sunshine, dirt, dust, mud, pavement and cold, pretty much all in one day, it was truly an adventure i will never forget. Every part made even better by Ulli and Andres. Both of them went way above and beyond the entire trip to make sure we never had to worry about a single thing. There is a massive amount of logistics on a trip like this and both of them made it so all we had to do was enjoy the riding. A+++ for both of them. Apart from the riding, the fly fishing was perhaps the best fishing i have ever had the opportunity to do. I live on a premium fishing river in Washington but the fishing down there was way beyond anything i have ever gotten to do.
The hotels were perfect, I enjoyed very much both the mom and pop places we stayed as well as the high end resorts. Great food and the other people we met on the trip will be friends for life. We were all talking at the end of the trip that we should all try and get the band together to do another one in a year or two."
-Steven Scott, from Washington, after his experience joining some riding buddies and our guides Ulli and Andres for the "Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego & Ushuaia!" motorcycle tour in 2015. Steven, there's nothing we enjoy more than exceeding expectations!
-David and Juli - from Austin, Texas, after their 10-Day self-guided motorcycle tour through the Andes Mountains of Patagonia between Chile and Argentina
"Your assistance in planning our trip was outstanding, and everything went smoothly from beginning to end. The sites we enjoyed in Patagonia are going to remain in our memories for a long time and it is going to be difficult to find some thing else which could beat them. Even the weather we encountered was beautiful!
-Dominique and Patrick from Maillot , after 18 days of a self-guided motorcycle trip in Patagonia.
-Gustavo Scherenberg from Mexico after his private group's "Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego & Ushuaia!" motorcycle tour in February 2014. This group added an extra day for rafting the Futaleufu River. Be sure to Contact Us and ask about how you can, too! (Gus's group in front of the Grey Glacier in Torres del Paine National Park.)
-Ian Ohan, Owner - Freedom Pizza - Dubai, UAE
(Photo overlooking Lago General Carrera in Chilean Patagonia during the "Patagonia Experience" motorcycle tour.)
-Isabella Scafati from Italy & Miami after a self-guided trip in Patagonia with her boyfriend, Dale in January 2014.
Eric at RIDE Adventures (www.rideadv.com) is a top class, experienced leader and host. He secured well-prepared, well-maintained bikes (BMW 1200GS), researched and planned a bespoke route, arranged great hotels and selected excellent restaurants. More to the point he took on everything we threw at him with enduring patience and humor - and through the tour has become a really good friend.It is difficult to imagine how bike tours get better this."
-Jeremy Lester, Dubai UAE,(Jeremy offers a lift to an Israeli Army Officer stranded in Puerto Tranquilo in Chilean Patagonia during the "Patagonia Experience" motorcycle tour.)
"During a motorcycle trip to Alaska in 2010, we decided to go see "the other side" and ride through Patagonia. But life got in the way and two month before getting down there we had little more booked than our plane ticket...
This is where RIDE Adventures comes in.
-Emily & Johann, Ann Arbor, Michigan
-Anna & Patrice, Seattle, Washington, after 10 Day incredible self-guided riding trip through the heart of Patagonia
-Krishnakumar Gopinathannair from California, after he and his friend, Bijoy completed their Self-Guided Patagonia Experience trip in February 2014. Glad you enjoyed, and great seeing you along the route, guys!
-Louis Zietz from Texas, after months of months of planning and patiently waiting for what was clearly a successful Self-Guided Motorcycle Trip in Patagonia!
-Mark Mackoviak from the U.S, after his Self-Guided Motorcycle Trip in Patagonia, having clearly enjoyed the experience!
-This from Martin Farrand from New Zealand. We included some pictures of Martin on his "Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego & Ushuaia!" motorcycle trip. (Martin's helmet represents the infamous All Blacks from New Zealand overlooking the Queulat National Rainforest)
-Mike Culwell from the U.S., after a private-group, customized version of our Best of Northern Patagonia tour. His group even had the unique opportunity to witness the still-active Villarica Volcano erupting just a few miles from their hotel in Pucón!
-Myles Colligan and Taylor Garrigan from the U.S, after their self-guided version of our "Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego & Ushuaia!" motorcycle tour. Clearly, they enjoyed!
-Philip & Philip Moor from New Jersey, USA , after what was clearly an enjoyable self-guided Patagonia motorcycle travel experience! As they first let-out the clutch in Osorno.
-Ryan Roux & Andres DuPlessis - South Africa - after 20 days of BMW motorcycle rentals in Patagonia in 2013
Needless to say I hope this won't be my last trip so I will let you know when I'm ready for the next one..hopefully soon!"
-Santiago Falla from the U.S. and Colombia, after his 12-Day Self-Guided Patagonia Motorcycle Trip with his girlfriend in February 2014.
-Steve Curry from New York after a Self-Guided Patagonia motorcycle trip on the BMW F700GS.
-Sylvain Arseneault from Canada who enjoyed a self-guided motorcycle trip in Patagonia, and clearly has more interest in riding!
"Eric, Thanks for all your help on our trip to Patagonia. You did a super job staying on top of the details and the trip went as smooth as I could imagine. Whether it was translating for the hotel staff in Tierra del Fuego or planning an amazing itinerary, we were very impressed. It would have taken me weeks to reproduce what you did. The maps and fuel suggestions were very valuable. I would be happy to endorse your services, please use me as a reference. Now I need to plan the next trip!"
-Tom Prendiville (Shown in the picture during a self-guided Patagonia motorcycle trip with his brothers. Here crossing the Straight of Magellan on the ferry with the BMW Motorcycles. Next stop, USHUAIA!)
-Vitor Freitas from Portugal after what sounds like a great time on a self-guided motorcycle trip in Patagonia! You bet it can get windy on some of those sections...
-Warren Bean from Oregon, USA after his "Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego & Ushuaia!" motorcycle trip. Returning to Chile with the other riders, wishing they could turn around to do it all over again as we were told!
"Absolutely amazing experience. Two rental bikes and 17 days of adventuring through Chile and Argentina. Parke Pumalin and Parke Patagonia were the highlight of the trip, never seen that many stars while camping in those parks. Also the fly-fishing in Rio Baker was fun. Great service and the bikes were excellent GS1200's, perfect for this kind of terrain and adventure through dirt roads."
-Quint Henriquez from the Netherlands Antilles after his Self-Guided Motorcycle Trip in Patagonia with his friend, Ian. Quint, we're glad you had such a great experience! Don't forget the fly-fishing opportunities here folks...
- Rick Keist from Seattle just finished our Self-Guided Fly & RIDE The Best of Northern Patagonia package. As is always possible in Patagonia, there was some rough weather....but also some great riding and views. Glad you enjoyed, Rick!
- Riding in Patagonia isn't for everyone due to the riding challenges, but Hayden Dyer made it happen, and we're so glad he enjoyed his "Self-Guided Fly & Ride The Patagonia Experience" trip!
"Thanks for following up Eric. It was an incredible experience and the direction I received prior to the trip from yourself and Ulli was spot on. The times I got lost or wandered off the path were very much welcomed as it added to the experience. I was alone for 100% off the riding, but never lonely. I can best describe the experience with the video I put together. Please see below link: https://www.youtube.com/
- Although the service we provided Jordan was for a Kawasaki KLR 650 rental in Patagonia, he also found out on his trip that riding gear serves as snow gear for snow-tubing near Pucón! Glad you enjoyed, Jordan.
- Thijs and Tim had some perfect timing weatherwise for their Motorcycle Rentals in Patagonia. This time of year, weather is 90% "good" along the Carretera Austral and Ruta 40, but still, sometimes clouds and rain can obscure the sites inside Torres del Paine National Park. Glad you guys got the "good stuff!"
- Tony Yrey finished a Self-Guided "Fly & RIDE The Patagonia Experience" motorcycle trip package, obviously with a high level of success! No damage, overall good weather, and great views of highlights like Torres del Paine National Park and the Perito Moreno Glacier. Thanks for the note, Tony!
"I had the adventure of a lifetime riding the Best of Northern Patagonia on the BMW F800GS. The riding and the scenery were unlike anything I've experienced before (plenty of volcanoes). The locals we ran into on the trip from Chile and Argentina were some of the friendliest people I've ever met. The hotel accommodations were a wide range from lavish to basic but were always clean and adequate. We were looking for a dual sport ride and got a great mix of dirt/gravel and paved roads. Truly a trip I'll remember for the rest of my life."
- Travis Rymon is reporting back to us with good words about the "Self-Guided Fly & Ride The Best of Northern Patagonia" motorcycle trip he just enjoyed with his father. Glad you guys now see what it is we've been raving about!
- Ty Melton from Colorado in the U.S. had some friends join him for the Self-Guided "Fly & RIDE The Best of Northern Patagonia" package, and it looks like the guys enjoyed their trip! The two-track riding is disappearing all around the Andes Mountains, so other riders should not wait to book their trips.
"Lots of inside jokes with the US Boyz I'm sure. I can speak for Mike and I that we were thoroughly stoked about every part of our adventure too!
The people, the places, the food (omg what a meat fest), the accommodations, the dogs and most of all, our guides. Andres (the happiest guy in the world) made us feel so comfortable and at home, and Ulli with his youthful and fun approach really brought all the hard work you all do with planning together!
Thanks again Mike and everyone for the awesome Adventure. Hope to cross paths one day again."-Brent Martin from B.C., Canada after clearly enjoying his "Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego & Ushuaia!" motorcycle trip!
"Fly & Ride The Patagonia Experience" Motorcycle Tour - 14 Days
"The Patagonia Experience" route takes riders through the absolute highlights of Patagonia, all in just 14 days (including arrival and departure days.) Torres del Paine National Park, the Perito Moreno Glacier, the Carretera Austral, incredible Andes Mountain riding and more all packed into one amazing motorcycle trip! We know that everyone is pressed for time these days, and this tour considers that by consolidating an amazing amount of riding variety into such a short time. Still, it's an itinerary that we've found most riders can keep up with and enjoy quite comfortably.
Please note that you can run this route from either the north or the south. Which is better? The answer is: "Both!" With no real advantage to riding either direction, this trip will seem to be more amazing every day, and as Rider Magazine declared in August 2013, "I feel I’ve seen the best of Patagonia."
Day 1 – Arrive in Santiago, Chile and then Osorno or Pucón in the northern parts of Chilean Patagonia.
Whether you’re taking extra time to explore the capital city of Santiago or just flying through, riders need to arrive in Osorno or Pucón on or before this date, as the itinerary shows a 1st riding day to follow. Your intra-Chile flights can be booked through www.lan.com or www.skyairline.cl. (Flights are Santiago (SCL) to Osorno (ZOS) or Temuco (ZCO) and then Punta Arenas (PUQ) to Santiago at the end of the trip.) We can help you decide whether your trip should start in Osorno or Pucón, which might ultimately be a decision based on motorcycle availability at the time you make your reservation. Either location may be sold out at any time in this popular area for our bikes, so please always reserve as far in advance as possible. Seriously, 9+ months in advance is not too early!
Day 2 – Osorno/Pucón, Chile to Bariloche, Argentina – 239km
It’s time to start riding into the heart of Patagonia!
After checking you in on your motorcycle and making sure you're comfortable with everything, the excitement for the trip ahead starts to build even more. Any unique parts & accessories from home can be brought to customize the bike’s fit to your liking and assistance with anything you need is of the utmost importance, as safety is key to enjoyment and completion of the incredible journey ahead. At some point on this day though, what might have been months of waiting will finally come to an end, as your RIDE into Patagonia begins!
Due to the wild series of inlets and land formations that make up the coast of southern Chile, this trip heads east up into the Andes Mountains before going further south into Patagonia. Riders starting from Osorno will be passing through Parque Nacional Puyuhue and later Nahuel Huapi, for a fantastic first day’s ride. Riders starting in Pucón will have a few more hours of riding today, but get to start with the famous "7 Lakes Route" (Ruta de 7 Lagos) going through San Martin de Los Andes. Settling down into the ski-resort town of Bariloche for the night and perhaps your first Argentine asado (barbeque) in this lively town sets you up for even greater riding ahead.
Day 3 – Bariloche to Trevelin, Chile – 308km
Before leaving Bariloche, be sure to ride the "Circuito Chico" through Llao Llao just to the west! Then, as most of the trucks and traffic will take the obvious Route 40 south, but you might want to follow the Road Book and enjoy a detour through Parque Nacional Los Alerces just to the west. Sweeping sandy turns through the “Fitzroy” trees (cousin to the Redwoods found in California and the tallest trees in all of South America,) beautiful lakes and mountains guide us through the national park. Positioned to cross back into Chile the next day, how did you do in the gravel? We hope well, because there's more ahead.
Day 4 – Trevelin to Puyuhaupi, Chile – 246km
Today marks the start of the ride down the Carretera Austral (Highway to the South) and what many folks will agree is some of the best riding in the world! First crossing the Futaleufú River, you’ll also be passing near Parque National Corcovado, one of very few privately owned land preserves in the world (owned by Doug Tompkins, founder of The North Face clothing company.)
Heading further south on the Carretera, rain is likely before arriving in the town of Puyuhaupi, and this area is an absolute highlight for riders experiencing Patagonia for the first time. Glaciers to the left, waterfalls all around, and the rainforest riding for the Patagonia riders.
Day 5 - Puyuhuapi to Coihaique, Chile - 224km
If you're going to get rain on this trip, it'll likely be here in the Queulat Rainforest in this stunning valley full of switchbacks and unforgettable scenery. Even the most "reserved" personalities tend to burst a bit in this section, as every turn reveals a new view of the precious Patagonia we've grown to love. Waterfalls that cascade down from a few hundred meters high and all the bright green forestry of Patagonia await you.
Day 6 – Coihaique to Puerto Tranquilo area of Chile – 225km
The enormous Nalca plants will line your ride through Parque Nacional Queulat, and likely some rain today. The plant life and rain makes for an amazing atmosphere though with snow-capped mountains, rivers and waterfalls, and in the right season, salmon spawning in the River Cisnes.
After Reserva Nacional Cerro Castillo and its sharp mountain peaks, you’ll get your first glimpses of Lago General Carrera, and if the sun is out, another site never to be forgotten. Glacier fed waters reflect blue light, and combined with more snow-capped mountains in the background, this is one fantastic ride into Puerto Tranquilo. If you arrived early enough, opportunities for fishing, boat tours of the nearby Marble Caves, and canopy tours are possible.
Day 7 – REST DAY in Puerto Tranquilo (area), Chile
The rest day in Puerto Tranquilo is chosen for a couple of reasons. First, Patagonia makes for some tough riding and everyone has a need to rest up, and second, because you probably won’t want to leave the Puerto Tranquilo area! We will be far off “the beaten path” at this point and varying emotions about seclusion and our normal lives are bound to set in. With activities like boat tours, fly-fishing, horseback riding, canopy tours, and river rafting on the Rio Baker, this is barely a relaxing rest day. On the other hand, if you really feel you want to ride a little this day, the fabulous "Patagonia Park," one of the late Doug Tompkin's conservation efforts is right near by with plenty of guanacos bouncing around the lodge Valle Chacabuco.
Day 8 - Puerto Tranquilo to Los Antiguos, Argentina – 175km
Leaving this spot about only about 50m/80km from the Pacific Ocean, the RIDE takes you along the shores of Lago General Carrera with its blue beauty guiding us along rock walls and fantastic scenery on the way back into Argentina. Now get ready for the wind! As Pacific air rolls across the Andes, it typically rushes down the eastern side of the mountains in quite a hurry, so this can be a challenging day of riding.
Day 9– Los Antiguos to near Gobernador Gregores, Argentina – 414km
Just grip down and get through what could definitely be more pounding winds today, as this is part of why Ruta 40 is so famous! Extremely remote territories, very few fueling points, and the wide-open “pampas” region of Argentina again add to the variety in this adventure. Guanacos (like a small llama, indigenous to South America and this region in particular) will be dancing around the road before us, so we take extra caution on rides like this.
Day 10 – Gobernador Gregores to El Calafate, Argentina - 330km
Still out in the Argentine wild, just tilt back to the west with the Andes in site today. Passing Lago Cardiel and Lago Viedma, the piercing peaks of Mount Fitz Roy and the town of El Chaltén can be seen in the distance. Passing Lago Argentino and nearing the town of El Calafate, a fun town with great shopping, dining, and relaxation potential sets riders up for one of the greatest highlights in all of Patagonia the next day.
Day 11 – REST DAY in El Calafate (optional visit to Glacier: 160km)
It's important to rest once again, and there might be no better town to do so in. Just a short ride morning starts with a visit to yet another incredible site in Patagonia: The Perito Moreno Glacier! One of only 3 known glaciers in the world that is still actually growing, huge chunks of ice will fall off before your eyes, crashing into the bay before you. As if this awesome sight isn’t enough, the rumbling sounds of ice cracking throughout the ice field will remain a definite part of your Patagonia memories. Enjoy the remainder of the day around the town of El Calafate where shopping, crafts, culture and restaurants all await you.
Day 12 – El Calafate to Torres del Paine National Park – 379km
Circling back through the wide-open “pampas” of Argentina one more time, the goal is yet another stunning site on the Chilean side. Crossing the border at Paso Rio Don Guillermo, it might not appear that there’s anything in site; however, when approaching the middle of Torres del Paine National Park, riders will understand why this is a special place in Patagonia.
The famous Torres (towers) and Cuernos (horns) of Torres del Paine National Park beg you to take a rest day and either hike or ride around the area to enjoy the beauty. From the south side of “Los Cuernos”(The Horns,) travelers can be found waiting to photograph that perfect sunrise where orange and pink hues radiate across this unforgettable mountain formation. Designated a World Biosphere Reserve in 1978 by UNESCO, photos might not even be necessary as the images will remain clear in traveler’s minds forever.
Day 13 – Torres del Paine N.P. to Punta Arenas, Chile – 320km
Finally, the Province and Island of Tierra del Fuego! Originally given that name by Ferdinand Magellan (meaning “Land of Fire”) because of the Indian’s fires he saw blazing before him, he might have better named it “Land of Wind,” because you’re likely be inundated by it most of the day. Although you might not actually touch Tierra del Fuego, you'll be just about 1 kilometer from it across the Straight of Magellan, and definitely have the sensation of what it's like to be out there. Now just imagine all the photos you have to start organizing as the riding part of your trip is over! Enjoy your stay in Punta Arenas. The Casino in town could be fun, or for site-seeing options, walk through the famous cemetery there in town, as it's quite amazing.
Day 14 - Breakfast and departure
BMW 650 GS (Single Cylinder)
BMW F700GS (twin cylinder)
BMW R1200GS - Liquid Cooled
BMW R1200GS Adventure (2014+ Liquid Cooled)
Honda Africa Twin