Got questions about motorcycle rentals, and what's needed to make your trip a success? Here are a few more FAQ's we get from customers with a bit of a focus on South American motorcycle travel. Please remember, you're always welcome to Contact Us or ask questions in the comments section below. Chances are, if you have a question about how motorcycle rentals work, you're not alone!
Q: For our motorcycle rentals, we've been told that the “Inter-American Driver’s License” from the AAA will help save us time with border crossings. Is that true, or does the regular International Driver's Permit suffice?
A: For South American motorcycle rentals, you're fine with just the normal International Driver's Permit. Actually, it won't make a difference, as the license is typically not used at the borders. The only things you need to cross the borders are your passport and tourist visa, which in most cases is obtained upon entry to the country. (Check your State Department's travel website to confirm this.) You'll also vehicle registration, insurance, and a special authorization from the rental operator we set you up with, but that's always provided as part of your motorcycle rental package.
That being said, there's definitely some inconsistency in the process from border to border, and somebody might ask for your international license. Typically not though.
Q: Do we need hotel reservations for our motorcycle trip, or can we just show up find a place to stay?
A: The answer depends on a few factors, including the time of year and locations you're riding in, and how much you value 'convenience' and 'flexibility' as compared to a more rigid travel itinerary. RIDE Adventures offers pre-reserved hotel packages for motorcycle travel, and you can see this video that explains what's included in greater detail. Before you decide on how you're going to arrange your hotels on your trip though, consider the advantages and disadvantages of a pre-reserved hotel package:
* Avoid wasting time searching for a hotel with room availability every day of your journey
* Avoid wasting time searching for a hotel with availability and secure motorcycle/vehicle parking every day of your journey
* Enjoy some reassurance that you're staying in a hotel that has a good reputation/value/service/atmosphere
* Cost is approximately the same as arriving that day or pre-reserving yourself - (RIDE Adventures acts as a travel agency when consolidating a hotel package, and agencies typically get discounts off the public rates. Our "incentive" for offering this service is approximately just the difference or discount we get off the public price.)
* RIDE Adventures can provide for you, along with a specific hotel package and itinerary, the guide, maps, and notes described in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2uFXJOM_eQ A package like this is easy to follow, and helps ensure that you don't miss opportunities along the way.
* Focus on riding, exploring, and enjoying, and not wasting any precious time on your journey!
* Some travelers don't appreciate the feeling of having an "itinerary."
* If injury, illness, mechanical issues or other factors impede your progress on keeping up with the set hotel reservations, rights to those reservations might be lost. Hotels cannot always accommodate changes in reservations once within a certain proximity of your scheduled arrival date (due to lack of availability, etc.) NOTE: Itineraries typically include a "rest day" every 3-5 days. As such, falling off schedule by 1 day does not mean the entire remaining hotel package might be forfeited. For example, using an upcoming rest day to travel instead of rest can put you right back on schedule.
Please keep in mind, you can always visit our Free Motorcycle Travel Info page which is full of more information you can download.